Welcome back to our One Room Challenge Week Four! I’ll give you a quick update on the furnishings and then show you the progress Mike has made on the wood wall during the last week. I was adjusting to my first week at a new job so I didn’t get as much done as I might normally, but I’m getting in a groove and trying to catch up. If you haven’t seen our vision boards, check them out here!
My rug is here and my picture from Hoosier Farmhouse Interiors arrived (it is soo fantastic I can’t wait to show you). Sadly, my IKEA furniture is delayed. Although it arrived here locally, the delivery company that is bringing it to my house is busy. So the couch and chair won’t arrive until Tuesday. The issue is that it has to be assembled, and we planned on doing that this weekend. In the realm of life its not that major, so I’m trying to be patient.
The chalk paint worked really well on my veneer end tables. My drawer pulls didn’t come so I’m going to have to find some locally. I’m also still trying to find the perfect throw pillows. So I have some shopping left to do.
I asked Mike for a quick overview of the wood wall, so here’s an update from him:
Old trim out, studs marked.First part of trim complete. I used pre-primed pine for this.For the furring strips and panels I used 1/4 inch plywood. The next step for the vertical shiplap wall. I added the furring strips. I cut approx (42) 6″ wide x 8′ tall ship lap pieces on the Ryobi table saw, which then needed to be cut to fit between the trim pieces. I cut the (42) 6″ x 8′ pieces, sanded smooth including the edges. Cut to fit between the trim pieces. Then tacked them to the furring strips while cutting for the vents and electrical sockets.
All of the vertical shiplap boards are installed. All of the 6″ wide boards fit perfectly so I didn’t have to trim any. That never happens. You’ll see that tiny gap on the right because the wall isn’t perfectly straight. It’s important to keep the wood planks straight to line them up correctly, so that gap can be easily fixed with caulk.Then I filled the millions of nail holes with wood filler. It’s ready to be sanded smooth. Then I’ll caulk around the moulding prior to painting.
Mike said the materials for this project cost $130, so not at all expensive! It’s being painted white this weekend, then we can start decorating and putting everything back in the room.
We’re getting close to the end! Take a look at the other one room challenge participants at Calling it Home and check back next Thursday to see how we’re doing. We have a few surprises we haven’t shown you and I hope our furniture will be here by then!